North Carolina, a state renowned for its diverse geography, from the Atlantic Ocean beaches to the Appalachian Mountains, has a city that stands out as the most dangerous in the state. That city is none other than Lumberton, located in Robeson County.
According to the latest FBI crime data, Lumberton has been designated as the most dangerous city in North Carolina. With a population of 19,025, the city’s crime rate is 132.30 per 1,000 residents. This rate is significantly higher than other cities in the state. In fact, the likelihood of falling victim to a crime in Lumberton is 1 in 27, making it 435% more perilous than the North Carolina average.
North Carolina’s violent crime rate is 2,262 per 100,000 people, while the property crime rate is 6,524 per 100,000 people. However, Lumberton’s crime rates surpass these averages by a significant margin.
Factors Behind the High Crime Rate
Although pinpointing the precise reasons for Lumberton’s high crime rate is challenging, several contributing factors are worth considering. Economic factors, often influential in crime rates, include high unemployment rates and poverty, which can drive individuals to engage in illegal activities out of desperation.
Additionally, social issues like lack of education and substance abuse can also contribute to elevated crime rates. Addressing these underlying problems is crucial for local authorities and community leaders to effectively combat crime.
Despite the high crime rate, it’s important to note that many Lumberton residents live peacefully, as do residents of other cities with similar crime rates. It’s advisable for individuals residing in or visiting such areas to take certain precautions. These precautions may include staying aware of one’s surroundings, avoiding less populated or high-crime areas, particularly at night, and ensuring the security of homes and vehicles.
Other Dangerous Cities in North Carolina
Based on recent FBI crime data, here are some other cities in North Carolina that have been identified as dangerous:
- Wadesboro: This city has also been classified as one of the most dangerous in North Carolina.
- Henderson: Henderson is another city with a high crime rate.
- Kinston: Kinston is known for its elevated crime rates.
- Albemarle: This city also contends with a high crime rate.
- Reidsville: Reidsville is another city in North Carolina considered dangerous.
- Rockingham: Rockingham’s high crime rate has earned it a spot on the list of dangerous cities.
- Gastonia: Gastonia is another city in North Carolina struggling with a high crime rate.
- Whiteville: Whiteville is regarded as one of the most dangerous cities in North Carolina.
- Clinton: Clinton also experiences a high crime rate, making it one of the state’s most dangerous cities.
Please bear in mind that these rankings are based on crime rates and may change over time. Staying informed about your local area is always important.
Safest City in North Carolina
The safest city in North Carolina is Rolesville¹. Other cities considered safe in North Carolina include Pinehurst, Davidson, and Cary. Keep in mind that these rankings can change over time, so staying informed about your local area is crucial.
While Lumberton currently holds the title of North Carolina’s most dangerous city, it’s vital to remember that crime rates can change. Continuous efforts by law enforcement agencies, local authorities, and community members can contribute to improved safety and reduced crime rates in the future.